Apple Pie by Ariel Chen

"It’s time to take your meds," the woman lightly tapped on her husband's shoulder, waking him up from his slumber.

The man opened his eyes slowly, then stared at the women, perplexed. Ouch! the man gasped for air as the sharp pain struck like a lightning to his head. And he recognized his wife. "Oh, thanks for reminding me, honey," he took over the half-full bottle with the pills in her hands. He looked at the clock hanging on the wall behind the sofa, it was exactly eleven o’clock in the morning.

“The apple pie will be done in a bit, you said you want to eat apple pie.”

“I most certainly did, you know how much I love your apple pie,” the man chuckled as he swallowed a pill.

“Is there anything else you want?”

“I’m so sleepy. I think I will sleep a bit more.”

“Sleep well,” the woman turned around to the kitchen. Before he sank into unconsciousness, he saw the apple pie sitting on the kitchen counter, ready to be baked once the oven is preheated.

Woken up by the smell of apple pie filling his nostrils, the man found himself in a strange place he doesn’t recognize.

“Who are you?!”

Startled, the women dropped the plate on the floor.

“Shhh, John, it’s okay. I’m your wife, this is your home.” The woman standing in front of him is visibly shaken but trying her best to keep composure.

“I can’t remember anything,” he whispered with a look of confusion and distress.

“It’s okay,” the woman tried to embrace him to give him comfort, but he flinched back.

“...sorry,” he apologized awkwardly. He looked around the living room, trying to find any clues that could help him regain his lost memories. The bright sunlight outside tells him that it was around noon.

Doctors’ appointment. End of experimental treatment session. Medical bill due. Loan payment. plan.

He focused on the calendar full of notes and noticed that there is nothing written from October 10th. Although he wasn’t sure, somehow, he had a gut feeling that today is October 10th.

The woman’s voice disrupted him from his thoughts.

“John, it’s time to take your meds.”

“...Thanks,” he awkwardly took over the bottle from the woman and took a pill.

Ding! The apple pie is done. And suddenly, he remembered everything.

"I love you," he hugged his wife from behind as she broke into tears.

“I’m sorry. I can’t do this.”

"Yes you can, you are the strongest person I know. I have lived a wonderful life with you. And you deserve to be happy for the rest of your life.”

"I don't care. I only want you!"

“I’m sorry honey, but you’re the only one who can help me. You have to go through with the plan.”

"No no no! I don't want to. Why are you doing this to me?" She started hitting him, but he only hugged her tighter.

"I'm sorry. I love you. I love you. I love you..." he said it again, and again and again.

He found himself sitting on the sofa in their living room. The late afternoon sunshine piercing through the blinds. A freshly baked apple pie on the tea table in front of him and his wife crying next to him.

"What’s wrong, honey?” he wrapped his hands around his wife.

“I broke a plate and cut my fingers. It's my favorite plate," she sobbed uncontrollably.

"Oh no I'm so sorry. Are you okay? It's not a deep cut, you'll be okay. We'll go buy a new plate this Saturday,” the man reassures his wife, but she wouldn't stop crying.

“It’s okay, honey. It’s alright, everything will be alright," He gently patted her hands.

“John, it’s time for your medication,” she handed him the bottle with a couple of pills left. He noticed that her hands were shaking.

"Thank you, my love," he gave his wife a kiss on the forehead before he took a pill.

He looked at the apple pie in front of him. It is cold now. He doesn’t remember how much time has passed but he remembers that he wanted to eat the apple pie really bad. He doesn’t recall eating anything, but strangely, he feels very bloated.

“Will you save a piece for me? I don’t feel like eating anything right now,” he smiled at his wife.

“You should eat now. You like it so much!” she protested with sniffles; eyes swollen from crying excessively.

“I’ll eat it later,” he patted her head reassuringly.

“But-” she hesitated.

"Guess it's time for my medication. I do remember this time," he winked playfully to his wife.

“No!” She grabbed his hands abruptly as he was about to take the last pill in the bottle.

He put his hands on her wrists, gently but firmly. And held her hands in his palms, then swallowed the pill.

She looked at him intently but couldn’t tell if he remembered or not.

“I’m so tired, my love. I think I will take a nap now.”

Her tears streamed down, continuously but silently.

He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly.

He felt the warmth of his wife, and the texture of her hair, his fingertips brushing through them, again, and again.

“I love you.” she whispered.

“I love you too.” he mumbled.

He wants to remember. As he slowly sinks into a deep deep sleep.

He doesn’t want to forget.

He never wants to forget.

Not ever again.