Inclusion and diversity statement

I aim to make all students feel welcome, affirmed, included, and supported in my lab, office, courses,  and programs. I intend to respect everyone's identity along all dimensions including race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, age, and religion, and I expect students to similarly show respect for each other. I believe that respecting and welcoming all aspects of people's identity is one aspect of creating a more diverse and inclusive environment within higher education and it can help create a more just and sustainable society. I also acknowledge that respect and inclusion alone are not sufficient, and I am committed to continuing to learn and work to dismantle systemic racism, sexism, transphobia, environmental injustice, and other discrimination in higher education and beyond.

I intend for my teaching, advising, and mentoring to meet each student as their true self, and I approach inclusion as an ethos in which programs adapt to work for the people, rather than asking people to change who they are. I acknowledge that barriers, including those invisible to me, may exist between each student and their education, and I will try to remove barriers as much as possible in my lab and programs; please tell me if programs or our interactions are not working for you so I can find ways to help and/or correct my behavior. 

I aim to continually improve the inclusiveness of my teaching and mentoring, so please don't hesitate to give me feedback  If you do not feel comfortable giving me feedback, you can give feedback about me to the Dean of Faculty any of the Associate Deans.